Friday, January 21, 2011

Knitting Up a Storm

Hey ya'll. I've got to tell all of you that I'm sorry for not blogging lately.  Don't get me wrong I love to blog, but I think my new passion is knittng.  I've always wanted to learn how and I've tried several times before.  For some reason it just never clicked.  I found this great store and this great teacher in Tuscumbia, AL.  It's actually just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live.  To look at the outside of the store it's not your average knitting shop. 

In the south her shop is called  a variety store.  They sell a little bit of everything and the owner is a great knitter.  When you walk in the door about half of the store is filled with this beautiful yarn and lots finished projects.


The day I walked in I was met with a big "HI! How are you''?  Pat and her husband are the owners and  Pat is a wonderful knitter.  She has beautiful sweaters, scarves and hats decorating the store.  When I touched the yarn it felt like butter.  I'm a sewer and a quilter and I love to touch fabrics.  I'm a visual person too.

You can see why I fell in love with her shop.  You can just see and feel every skein of yarn. 

Once I told Pat that I was interested in learning to knit she immediately asked if I could stay and start on a project.  I didn't start that day, but I did make an appt. and came back the next week.  With Pat's help and help from other knitters that come to her shop I have knitted several scarves and I am now working on a purse.

This is one of the scarves that I've finished.  It's called the Potato Chip Scarf.  You will need 200-250 yards of medium or worsted weight yarn  and size 9 or 10 needles.  I used size 8 though.

Here are the directions:
Cast on 20 stitches
Knit 1 row
Work following pattern for the length of the scarf:
Row 1: Knit 8, turn
Row 2: Knit 8, to beg of row
Row 3: Knit 6, turn
Row 4: Knit 6, to beg of row
Row 5: Knit 4, turn
Row 6: Knit 4, to beg of row
Row 7: Knit 20

As soon as I get my purse finished I will post some more pictures.

If you are able to visit the store you must stop in and say hi.  Be sure and let Pat know that you found her shop on my blog.  She'll really appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment